11 March 2008

Howdy folks,
Well, there were a couple complaints that I hadn't posted any pictures of myself. Personally, I didn't see any problem with that; with no pictures of me I had nothing to be embarassed about. But OK, this post should satisfy everyone. There are two laughable self portraits of me here in my room (proof, Travis, that I haven't shaved all the hair off my body). I also made it a point to take the two cumpulsory, cheesey tourist pictures of me posing with someone else so I could post them here. Now that we can all remember what I look like I don't think we'll be needing many more of those. Enjoy!



Self Portrait 1: Prasarita Shirshasana. This one shows how Bharath has turned me on my head.


Self Portrait 2: Kaakasana. This one shows how my eyes are popping out in India.


In celebration of Shiva Ratri, the Hindu holliday "Night of Shiva", several of us attended a small concert given at the giant bronze Nandi (Shiva's Bull) at Chamundi Hill. The flute player gives lessons to my class mate Rishal, and he seemed to me a master. The music was interesting to listen to, very medative and unlike music I've listened to much before. There is rythm and progression, but it all seems to just occur without effort or performance. Having to practice early the next morning we didn't stay long, but I think the music went all night long.


Peyman is the best friend I have from Azarbaijain. That's us atop Chamundi Hill with the lights of Mysore in the background. This is compulsory tourist photo #1.


I don't know this fellow's name. He calls me boss, and I call him boss; that seems to be enough. One day I was waiting forever to buy a water can (a big jug of drinking water) at a shop where the shop keeper was missing. My young friend here came by and dialed up the shopkeeper and two minutes later I had my water can. Now whenever I see him I buy a garland of jasmine flowers from him which I take to a neerby Ganesh shrine and ask Ganesh to help open my hips. So hopefully, indirectly, this boy is also helping me with my yoga =)


I don't think the term "flower child" is applicable for him. Garland wala maybe? Here we are at the coconut stand. Whenever I ask him why he isn't in school he changes the subject, but his English is very good. This is Compulsory Tourist Photo #2.


Almost every weekday I go to "Shakti House" for breakfast. Bruno is always there to take my order and give me French lessons. His son Nalu is also always there. Nalu just turned two and he is so mischevious but he's so damned cute who can get mad?


The Deveraja Market has one strip that is nothing but bananas. Since I am unofficial president of the Banana Fan Club, there was nothing for me to do but... go bananas. (sorry)



The electricity in Mysore goes out with dependable irregularity, so while you can never plan for it, you must always be prepared for the likelyhood. You can count on the power going out at least twice a day. So, here we are at Elle's house preparing a splended Saturday Night feast by candle light. Elle organized a feast of Thai food, and being from Bangkok there was no better authority. Everyone helped, but the credit goes to her. It was so good!


I went out into the country Sunday morning to see what I could see, and at first I thought this truck was stuck in the river. No, he's just washing it. The truck is taking a bath. It's funny, all the trucks here are festivly painted and garlanded with great care; they look like driving temples.


The country side of Karnataka is often these marvelous green rice or sugar cane padis, and the roads are frequently lined with big dark trees that shade the road. In the morning and evening the light here is just fanatastic; it's beautiful country.


I went to Mysore's Cauvery Arts Emporium to buy some sandal wood carvings. The Cauvery Arts Emporium is government owned so you know you're getting genuine sandal wood and good quality, but it has the standard government inefficiency. The picture above shows all the people required to tally my bill of four items, what a laugh!

By the way, thanks everyone for your emails and comments! Keep writing and I'll keep posting! Much Love, Ethan

6 comments:

Unknown said...

tEthan---

Wussup BABY!!!

I have been reading your blog and def been starting to get some itchy feet!! Who knows, maybee sometime you will get a knock on your door and there I will be at the coconut stand in the morning! I am glad you are doing so well!!

Cheers,

Steve

p.s. Justine sends her best!!

Unknown said...

Great post once again!

Unknown said...

The second comment was Stevo of the GC by the way.

Chelsea-B-Jolly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chelsea-B-Jolly said...

So impressive Ethan..I continue to be amazed! Your self portraits are my favorites and the swarm of kids. I love how romantic the idea of having a photo of so many excited kids can be, but the reality is what a chaotic scene of tug o' war it brings. Hahaha miss ya Ethan.

Much love

-chels

p.s. my other comment wasn't legible...I'm struggling with english right now.

Unknown said...

Ethan-

You should know that I quickly changed my desktop photo to the Kaakasana one. Thank you for that! It's like a visual pun--

--Trav--