13 April 2008

Leaving Mysore...

I think anyone (with a few notable exceptions) will tell you Mysore is hard to leave. In the two and a half months I've lived here, I've seen a lot of people go, and it's usually the same. They have their last coconut, their last day at the pool, their last meal at their favorite place, and they talk about their plan to come back. Almost no one leaves Mysore without a return plan. "I'll be back next year" "I'm coming back in August" "I'm just going to Goa for a few weeks" "I'm only leaving to renew my tourist visa" and so on. It's in the promise to come back that we can bear leaving. We say "see you later", not "good bye", and if that's optomisticly niave it feels true anyway. Ask anyone who's lived in Mysore they'll tell you the same.
But after over two months it's time to go. I feel like by staying in Mysore I've just been hanging a foot in India's waters, getting used to the temperature, so now it's time to take the full plunge. Time to jump in the River. It's time for planes trains and automobiles, going going going, stick it in high gear cause I'm on the MOVE here! Tomorrow morning I'm jumping in a taxi to Bangalore Airport and flying, swoooosh, to Delhi. Aaand then I am not sure what I'll do. There's the thought of staying in Delhi and looking for a second hand telephoto lense, there's the notion of going down to Agra to see the splendiferous Taj Mahal, or there's the idea that I'll just rip it straight to the Himalaya the minute I get off the plane. We'll see what feels right when I get on the ground.
So folks, there's a good chance once I get on the go the blog posts will drop of for a spell. Email replies will be far less frequent. Letters will arrive slightly more battered. Since I've come to India it has been wonderful to have to opportunity to send and recieve some emails from some folks I hadn't heard from in a long time, and to hold on to some of you even over a distance. It's been great to communicate so much from so far. But I think it's time for me to turn inward and practice silence for a while. One big reason I came to India was to probe deeper into myself, into my core, and sometimes by being very social and outgoing I'm distracting myself from that journey. The idea is not to cut communication, but to learn to communicate myself more honestly.
Anyways, on to the pictures. My last ten days or so in Mysore have been really nice, relaxing days. I did some last shopping in the Deveraja Market, hung out at the pool plenty, took some relaxing countryside drives, and spent a lot of time with friends here. Enjoy your last look at Mysore!

Deveraja Market, full of...

Fruit,


Flowers,


Dye,


Garlands,


Jaggery (raw sugar)


Insense and oils


Some friends around Mysore:

This eccentric Parisian Stan is very kind and very funny. And "eccentric" is not strong enough a word.


"Party at the moon tower" -- Brad from Canada.


This kid, Barnaba from Poland, wore me out playing in the pool. He's really fun and he never quite understood I don't speak Polish. Maybe I speak Polish after all?


Maddie and Danielle riding on the infamous scooter personality Cal. You can tell by their expressions (and the scooter) that they are bad ass to the core. Neither of them were shy about dancing and we had a lot of fun nights boogying at Clug High Octaine.


The following pictures were all taken one morning on a drive out some country roads from Mysore. I was so happy to take my friend Robyn with me on the back of my motorcycle. It is a foolish dream of mine that a motorcycle, a beautiful woman, and an open road is a formula for happiness. It was.


This is the banks of a river where countless laundries have been done.


And the shaded bridge where we watched from.


We wandered in the village and this family of generations kindly composed themselves on their doorstep.




It's not hard for me to understand why Gandhi idealized the village life. These people seemed perfect: beautiful and happy with the morning.



A few kilometers down the road were maybe a hundred small deserted houses. We peaked inside and there were no signs of inhabitance for a long time. We imagined stories of hardship that left all these houses cursed and forbidden, but we'll never know the truth.


Weird rubbery flowers.


I passed on three of my books to Robyn, and she read them all very quickly and then we got to talk about them over tea. This is her on a bridge by the KRS Dam.


The KRS Dam holds back the biggest stash of water I've seen in India, a really massive lake. I think it's Mysore's water supply, and is chanelled in by aquaducts.


Bright yellow flower petals, fallen from the trees, litter the steps approaching a small temple.


I like pictures of flowers. It's a weakness, I admit, or perhaps I post them for Mom.


One of the last things I did in Mysore was have some clothes tailored for me. I went to the shops downtown and bought fabric, and then brought them to Lokesh at Krishna Tailor who makes them to my measure. He's good. Here I am modeling the so soft and so bright silk (SILK!) pajamas I had made.


And perhaps one of the coolest things Lokesh did was make this bag in about two minutes. I couldn't resist posting this picture; why not eh?

All the best to everyone, much love. See you later Mysore! Ethan

9 comments:

griet said...

Dear Ethan,

Thank Ganesha i have your blog to watch when i'm overwhelmed by a reversed homesickness (as in: i missssss India and all of you guys!) it's great for me to see some pics of friends living the 'Mysore-life'! I wish you a safe but foremost splendid trip up north. I hope you may find the inner peace you're looking for, although i'm convinced you will. Enjoy it my indie-american friend!

i send you lots of love and good luck!

See you, griet

Laurel said...

Don't let us take away your silence. Your blog has been fabulous ( a creator of itchy feet and restless minds), but don't let it be an anchor. Be free to roam unhindered.

Ashley Diane said...

Ethan,
I imagine by now you are making your way out into the vast expanse of India and my heart goes with you. Not only on that part of your journey but very much so with you on your inner journey. I think it is absolutely amazing that you have this opportunity and are from what I read seizing it to the fullest! You came into my mind this afternoon and as I know this may not reach you for quite some time I still just wanted to put my love, light and intention out into the universe in hopes that it may reach you wherever you are, whenever you may need it. (And also, it’d be great to hear from you when you next surface.)Your entries have been wonderful, thank you for sharing your path and your presence.
Until we next meet, may the long time sun shine upon you, all love surround you, and the pure light within you guide your way on.
Love and light, Ashley

P.S.
I’m moving into your past room in the house. Kelley and Garrett have been an added blessing to that space and I hope to be a part of the growth that has taken place there since you first came to live at the house all those many months ago. You are missed here.

Anonymous said...

Ethan,

Cheri, Ritter, and I are in Vashist up near Manali. We'll be here until late May. Please stop by if you're in the neighborhood. We're at the Dharma Guesthouse up by the Hotsprings. Dylan

Unknown said...

Mr. Ethan ...

Well my friend ... it has been really amazing reading these bits and pieces of your journey. I can't wait to hear the next installment. It is SO awesome that you are possibly going to get a chance to visit the Himalaya ... the BIG ONES!! I'll be with you in spirit.
Well things are warming up over hear and Smith Rock is beckoning. Molly and I are hatching plans for our future (which I will share with you in an email), and the summer is booking up quicly with adventures. Oh man, I love this time of year.

Be well,

Cameron

Jenna said...

Ethan!!!

Blessings and BIG hugs from Bend : ) I have peeked at your blog a few times, and your photographs captivate me every time...WOAH! Incredible. Unfortunately, the images often seduce me and I am left without enough time to read your posts! From the glimpse I've caught however, looks and sounds like an incredible journey...i look forward to reading the stories you've shared and to hearing more about your experience when you return. I don't recall when/if you're planning to head back this way, but I'm heading out to North Carolina in October...almost in Wagon Wheel fashion...following the music in my soul : ) Happy that you are in the mountains...my oh my!! I wish i could articulate my excitement for you.......overflowing with curiosity, i can't even imagine the experiences you've already embraced in India and those that await in the Himalaya... fair winds, Ethan. smiles, jenna

Jenna said...

Ethan!!!

Blessings and BIG hugs from Bend : ) I have peeked at your blog a few times, and your photographs captivate me every time...WOAH! Incredible. Unfortunately, the images often seduce me and I am left without enough time to read your posts! From the glimpse I've caught however, looks and sounds like an incredible journey...i look forward to reading the stories you've shared and to hearing more about your experience when you return. I don't recall when/if you're planning to head back this way, but I'm heading out to North Carolina in October...almost in Wagon Wheel fashion...following the music in my soul : ) Happy that you are in the mountains...my oh my!! I wish i could articulate my excitement for you.......overflowing with curiosity, i can't even imagine the experiences you've already embraced in India and those that await in the Himalaya... fair winds, Ethan. smiles, jenna

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hai Baji said...
This comment has been removed by the author.