13 August 2011

Introduction and Chapter 1

Dear Family, Friends, Fellow Travelers, and Assorted Blog Perusers,

I write to you from Muang Sing, small Laos town a single bow shot from the border of China, to tell the story, in 4 Chapters, of some adventures I'm in the midst of. I will apologize now for the mix of present, past, and even future tenses necessary in this writing: the first two chapters have passed and shall appear as quickly as I can produce them, the third chapter I am in the midst of living, and the forth and final chapter, lying a month ahead, I can but now only foreshadow.

I would also like to insert here in my introduction an apology for not commencing these blog posts sooner. I haven't been as enthusiastic in sharing this my second far East adventure as I was my last, and have perhaps thus disappointed those people who so encouraged me to share my photography and thoughts during my first such expedition. The thing is, I felt so fortunate to have had my first trip, that in providing a sequel I cannot help but feel exceedingly guilty for my good luck. Now I realize it is a greater crime to withhold sharing this magnificent experience.

Here's how it happened: my girlfriend, my love, the beautiful Aiyanna and I were gifted two airline tickets to Bangkok, Thailand, from San Fransisco, California, by her eccentric father, Moshe. The reason behind this generous allotment was so he, traveling with us, could have time with Aiyanna to read the book she is writing about him. There in the paradise of a Thailand beach could he see the product of her 8 months labors in a climate comfortable to him; and there in an Eastern setting where her father spent much of his late life could she find a suitable ending for the book of their stories. I got to come out of Aiyanna's gracious asking, and her father's most generous granting, of her request for my presence. Intrepid traveler I am said to be, I was to play the guide of our party.

Careful readers notice: our departure was from California, but Aiyanna and I make our abode at my house in Asheville, North Carolina, so here is the gist of Chapter 1: Aiyanna and I decided to make our way across country by the highway. In short, we took ten days in Aiyanna's green Honda Civic hatchback through Nashville, TN, Boulder, CO, Moab, UT, and Grass Valley, CA, before meeting our flight in San Fran. That, in a longer sense, I will present to you after this introduction.

Chapter 2 commences when the three of us land in Bangkok, Thailand. In the course of this month in Thailand, we survived the air and noise of Kha San Rd, assailed the cliffs of Tonsai (where we parted ways with our disgruntled benefactor Moshe), flew north to Chiang Mai, scooted our way around the lush Pai countryside, and then, with our Thai visas expiring, crossed the Mekong River into Northern Laos.

Thus begins Chapter 3, which while now summarizing, I am yet at the onset of living. In this chapter I will make note of the circumstances of my convalescence from antibiotics necessary for a minor infection which gave rise to the opportunity for relating this posting. Yet to come: treks, river boats, and more of the beautiful easy life provided by this magnificent country. This chapter will likely conclude from Bangkok, where Aiyanna and I will part ways and fly to our respective destinations, journeys to be recounted in the far off Chapter 4.

Chapter 4 will be... something as yet quite unknown, and therefore complete with uncountable possibilities. I know that it will take place for some time on the West Coast, but that it must conclude, with these great adventures, back home in beloved Asheville. I set it down now, dear American family and friends, that should you wish to be involved with the excitement of this final chapter, please do get in touch with me: the fun begins when I touch down September 13th.

Enough of this most verbose introduction! I will from here commence with Chapter 1, which, since it has been outlined above, needs no more prequel. I will tell this story just in pictures, leaving any more necessary explanations to the captions below.

Thanks everyone for your forbearance of my previous silence, and subsequent loquacity. I hope not to disappoint. Love and blessings to each and all; as a wise man once told me, "enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!"


Chapter 1



First stop: Aiyanna's good friend Emma's house in Nashville, TN, with a backyard of home grown garlic drying, and Aiyanna dancing under the porch light, happy to start our good journey.



We approach a storm in Kansas: the thundercloud laid down a wrath of hailstones on poor Toby, Aiyanna's small but trustworthy steed of a Honda Civic.



The Flat Irons: a most welcome sight after the 20 hour drive to Boulder, CO.



Virdin, most sarcastic philosopher of the Furman alma mater, surveys his township below.



Behold the Rockies!



Katie Finn, her precious and precocious pugs Lucius and Igor, Aiyanna's friend Also Katie, at our fantastic 4th of July micro party. I now have a soft spot for pugs, thank you Katie! Not to mention the very comfortable abode: graciously sacrificing your room for Aiyanna and I, I venture yours was the best bed of the whole trip.



Yours truly slip and slides for Forth of July festivities!



At our first free camp outside of Moab: and me without my trad rack!! This was my first time in Moab, and I was a goggle with visions of cracks to be climbed, not to mention slick rock to be mountain biked. Moab, I venture I will return someday better prepared and with longer to stay.



Without said implements of adventure, we "settled" for hiking around Arches National Park, jaws dropping every step of the way. Here is Aiyanna at the Delicate Arch.



And the stupefying Landscape Arch.



As ever on my quest to document all wildlife, as shall be shown in this and subsequent chapters, here is a wee desert Monitor, digging a hole.









Yee with eyes should determine that these are all pictures of arches from Arches. I loved every one!



Hello Canyonlands National Park! (Gosh that's a pretty lady waiving.)



I found these stones here, and heartily agreed with the clicking of my camera.



Sandstone: amazing.











Judge for yourself the resplendent beauty of Canyonlands.




These two are from Dead Horse Point State Park. I can't say much for the name, but the view is great!



Aiyanna flies gracefully across the Bonneville Salt Flats: we're almost to California!



Aiyanna's generous, long-lived, interesting, complex, humorous, outrageous, sagacious, vain, nearly toothless, and many other adjectives I must forgo here, father Moshe, here in Shabbas dress (for he is an ordained rabbi, among so many other things). We stayed as guests at his farm in Grass Valley, CA.


Aiyanna, Moshe, and sister Abra at a lake outside of Grass Valley.


Aiyanna, Moshe, and brother Eli at his house above Berkley looking out over San Francisco. This is the end of one journey, for we flew from San Fran this night, but it's just the beginning, for we landed in Bangkok the next morning.

And here I leave you till the next chapter, which, fear not, I will not outline a second time. Thanks for reading my friends, and I will be grateful for any comments you might have! Much love, and adieu.

1 comment:

Cameron said...

I just saw that you have started blogging again. Many thanks!! I like to think that I am one of the many people who encourage you to share you wonderful stories and photographs! Keep 'em coming. Points to consider:
1) Going to Moab without a mountain bike or trad rack ... seriously?!?!?
2) Chapter 4 ... COME TO BEND!!! Or at least somewhere in Oregon! I would love to see you!

On to Ch. 2!

Cameron