14 February 2008

One morning at the coconut stand...

The coconut stand at Gokulam's main intersection is a happening place. It's quite common for gathering place for local's and yogi's alike to stop for a minute and drink some nutritious coconut milk, lopped open to order, or maybe some hot chai. I try to drink at least two coconuts a day; they have a very healthy alkaline balance and replenish vitals lost during a vigorous practice. One morning the coconut stand had an interesting visitor: a beggar, his monkey, and his cobra.

I was troubled by the expressionless face of this boy. He did not appear sad, or happy, or expectant. He appeared empty, hollow.



His serpant had been defanged, so it was harmless. Rishal told me that keeping snakes has recently been made illegal in India, and that I should not encourage this beggar by giving him money. We bought him a coconut.



The monkey, a devious fellow, would lunge at my camera and grab the lense like he would take it. Every moment here has something to offer, something to teach. Meeting this trio left me thoughtful for some time, and the expression in the boy's eyes, that haunting, hollow look, has not left me.