09 February 2008

Places and Faces

Hey Folks,
Lazy Sunday here. We've had a spot of rain, very out of season, but it's a good excuse to put some pictures up. I think everyone will enjoy these; I have been getting my groove on with my camera more recently, and seeing some sites around Mysore. Tonight, weather permitting, I will go to Mysore Palace and see it illuminated with a million and one light bulbs.
Leave me some love with comments, or better yet an email, because I am eager to hear from YOU!


Nothing like a fruit salad after morning asanas and pranayama. Shakti house makes a delicious mix of papaya, banana, pomegranite, pineapple, and grapes. But breakfast doesn't stop with fruit salad...


Rishal lounges as we wait for a home cooked lunch. Many families open their doors to hungry yogis at lunch time, and many offer cooking classes.


Lights wrapped around tree trunks and lanterns hanging from branches create a story book Dr. Suess effect at the Green Hotel at dinner time. In India such unique atmospheres are not unusual.


Sandra, what kind of flower is this? Oh, a talking flower.


Christina wanted to do some sight seeing at the local hospital, so she checked herself in with severe dehydration. And she smiles yet! Ah, the inner peace of a true yogini.


No room for gears on their bike, Indians use just a single speed to peddal their wares around the city.


Essential oils of Mysore: sandal wood, jasmine, lotus, and geranium. Price is negotiable.


A trip to the fabric store; next stop the tailor! You too can have clothing made for just a few hundred rupees.


The famous dies for sale at Deveraja Market. This place just explodes colors.


Mountains of geranium blossoms, and I was too busy gawking to ask what they were for.


How many people took your picture today?


It's busy around the market... it's busy everywhere!


This is the outside of the Deveraja market. It's not as impressive on the outside, but just walk in and let it bombard your senses.


All those piles of incense were rolled by hand... amazing.


While this Ayurvedic Doctor tried to sell me more oil and incense, I just wanted to take pictures of his beautiful daughter. Anyways, his newly married nephew is now my loyal rickshaw driver.


There is no problem my landlord Rani cannot solve with a dial of her cellphone. She also makes a mean banana dosa and masala chai, and does she love to talk!


Hamar stays with Rani and does much of the work around the house. Her English is not very good yet, and she is very shy, but she sings very beautifully and we were lucky enough to hear a song.


This is the house guard dog Snowbell. Obnoxious at first, the little furball is growing on me.


This is Rishi, the son of the owner of the internet cafe where I make these posts. He is four years old and already clever enough to take pictures and show me movies on his parents cell phone. He is dangerously cute.

Anyone who's looking THANK YOU!

4 comments:

Laurel said...

Ethan these are beautiful photos. India seems like such a sensory experience... much more so than most places at any rate. 'Raw' comes to mind. Love reading your posts, keep it up.

Rachel Burns said...

I'm so glad everything is going well over there. Can't wait to see and hear more! I'll write more when I'm done with my own sensory experience here (necropsy duty). Later!

Sayani said...

hi ethan ...very good work .loved to see own country in different mood

Anonymous said...

Hey Ethan. What an inspiring blog. I'm absolutely blown away. love reading your post. Take care of yourself.

-Allen